Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Standing Up

Lately I've felt like God has been asking me to spend some quiet time. Just Him and I. I haven't done much for the ministries I'm involved in, so I resort to reading the bible and just talking to Him. I've learned that out of all the things you could do in your walk with Christ, these are probably the two most important. Reading His word and opening the lines of communication with the big Man upstairs!

I've gone through tough times lately, two in particular have called for me to stand up for what I felt was right. I'm usually seen as woman of strong character. So why was standing up for what I knew was right so difficult? I don't have a clue.

After much prayer, I realized that there was no other out but for me to stand up for what I KNEW was right. Did I ruffle some feathers, rock some boats, and twist some chonis? Yea, I did. People weren't happy. Standing up for what is right isn't always easy, I knew that, and that's why I didn't want to do it! I think that's a lot of us a lot of the time. It's hard to do the right thing when you're the only one that sees it.

What did I learn at the end of it all? I learned that God always has my back. I am able to walk with my head held high because I know that I did what God asked me to do-- and when we do what the King of Kings asks us to do-- there's no shame in our game ;)

At some point, God may be calling you to stand up and do the right thing. It's conflicting, I know! Again, because of my strong character, I often need to remind myself to be humble and submissive-- to show the left cheek when slapped on the right one... Just when I thought I had the whole "submissive-cute-Christian-girl" act down, God calls me to take out my boxing gloves.
What we fail to see sometimes is the many incredible stories in the bible about men and women who went into battle, who faced their terrors face to face-- all with God's blessing. There is a time when we gotta stand up and say "enough!". I am glad the Lord has put me through that experience already, because I know that the next time I need to stand up to another injustice, it's going to be easier for me to discern the injustice, and acknowledge what I need to do about it (if that's what God wants me to do). Standing up for myself this time was very different than all the other times I had to do it. For starters, I did it in an organized way. Before standing up for myself, I sought council from older folks. I never altered my voice, I never let my emotions take control. I truly believe that God gave me the focus and determination I needed to carry out my "stand-up" the way He intended for it to be.

This was very different for me. I used to just get loud and authoritative whenever I felt something wasn't right. I justified my lack of manners because of whatever grave offense I felt was being committed. I was wrong! We are called to shine our light in every scenario. We can't put our Christ-like principles aside just because someone is going guetto on us. Yes people-- we can remain cool, calm, and collected when we're standing up for ourselves. We can show the world how different Christ makes us when our actions and reactions are completely different from what the world expects them to be!

I listened to what God was telling me. And I turned away from impulse. I took a step-back, prayed, listened and took action. I had to trust God blindly on this one-- trust me who I had to stand up to, and how was not easy! I looked up a couple of times asking, "Are you sure you want me to do this?!". Yes-- He wanted me to do it--but His way, not my way. And I am oh, so very glad I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment