Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I play poker

I play poker. I've been known to hussle old dudes at Vegas. I've been known to walk into a strangers home, be the only female playing, and walk out with the pot. I play poker.

It's important that you understand this because at one point or another, you'll probably see me playing or hear about me playing and I don't want you saying, "aren't you the same Martha that's in the worship group at church, yo?" And I'm going to say, "Yes, it is I. On Sundays I sing at church & on Mondays I play poker"... :D

Some of you might think that gambling is bad because you're throwing your money away and that through gambling, you're feeding into lust, greed, and addiction. And I would say that I completely agree. Gambling CAN cause you to throw your money away, and most definitely-- gambling CAN lead to lust, greed, and addiction. In the same way that just about EVERYTHING can!... Doesn't clothing do the same for a material girl whose living in a material world? ;) Or the gym to a 'gym rat'? Sex to a sex-addict? Eating to an over-eater?

Why is it okay for people to spend $40 on movies every weekend, but it's not ok to spend $20 on a home poker game with good friends every now and then?... Is it that movies don't lead to lust, greed, or addiction? Cause if you think not-- I got some people you should meet, and it's the type that use their bookshelves to hold their massive dvd collections!...

Gambling is not a struggle of mine, if it were then I wouldn't play. I see things in terms of "struggles". In the same way that someone who struggles with their weight should stay away from over eating, a person who struggles with gambling should stay away from poker tables and slot machines. The key here is to be honest with yourself and ask God to deliver you once you realize what your struggle is.

1 Corinthians 6:12 tells us: "Everything is permissible to me-- but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me-- but I will not be mastered by anything".

I love this verse because it helps me understand that this world is tempting, it's tantalizing tempting. There's going to be things that I'm going to want, and things that are going to want me. And yet, because God gives us a Spirit of self-control, I know that I will "not be mastered by anything" of this world.

I control poker. Poker doesn't control me. And as long as it stays this way, I think I'll just go on with my husslin' self ;) .

God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Completely agree. God knows you, he knows your heart... that's what I tell my little sister. Loving your blog, you rock Martha!

    ReplyDelete