Monday, January 18, 2010

Got our first response!


This is our first response received from Francisco. He is detained in Mira Loma, at the Deportation Detention Center. I hope you can click on the picture and it'll be legible enough for you to read his own writing for yourself.

What strikes me the most is that he wrote this letter on Christmas Day. While most of us are enjoying a wonderful day with our loved ones and families, this guy was behind a cell thanking those of us who had reached out to him.
_______________

[If you can't read the letter, here's the text:]
Hello & God bless. My name is Francisco I've known your bro Diego since September and on our bunkbeds he is my neighbor. I work in the Art class here, as a T.A., Diego works in the same building (library). He asked if I would like to receive some letters and I agreed. I don't get many letters here (besides the ones from your church). Thank you and the "Jovenes" from your youth group for making my day. When I received so many letters all of a sudden, I felt very special and was encouraged more and more by each letter. THANK YOU!

What you guys are doing is of God. Not only do your words of encouragement give hope to those who do not go to church, but the letters are a spiritual boost to those of us who believe in God and are in ministry.

For the last five years I have lived in a church environment, in a Christian Recovery Home, as a caretaker (like a maintenance man) of my church. Before God touched my life at age 26 I was rebelious and lived to have a good time at party's, clubs, and didn't know where my life was going. Without realizing it, I became a drug addict. Thanks to God, the prayers of my grandma and my mom, my life is completely different.

I am fighting not to get deported, so I can continue with my new life and my new family at church. My church has a youth group too. I work with teenage boys and share what God has shown me to them. They are a cool group, sometimes a hand-ful.

Thanks again for the letters sent by your group. I look forward to hearing from the Jovenes and maybe you.

--Francisco Landaverde

No comments:

Post a Comment